September 20, 2015

Mothers: mine and all the others

Who would be a more fitting role model to kick off gr/attitude with than the mother? Moms manage everything and anything. In an ordinary day, one mom seems to accomplish the work of five other people. And they often don't get enough recognition for their hard work. I know I couldn't say 'thank you' enough if I it was all I said to my mom...

She is up at the crack of dawn, walking the dog and feeding four hungry creatures. First the dog, a bowl of gourmet food from a bag. A banana smoothie for me, please. Usually cereal for my dad, a toaster waffle for my brother, Will. Wait, is Will even awake yet? She's the one to tap on his door and wake him. And in a span of an hour we are rushing out the door. She ushers my dad, me and Will out the door. Once she sends us off, there's a sink full of dishes that she does. Often a load of laundry to clean. Beds to make, usual morning things. After she tidies, which she refuses to let anyone else do, the day is hers. Perhaps she follows me right to school, to help fit the orchestra players in gowns and tuxes, or for a PTA meeting, or a Fine Arts Program meeting. Similar meetings are hosted regularly at my brother's school, too. She's always occupying herself, and she's always helping other people. At schools, taking my dad lunch on rough days, moving shelves for her brother, or taking care of a friend's toddlers until they go to daycare. She spends her day being selfless. She mows the lawn and fixes anything in the house that's broken, or she's the one to call the plumber. And then when the rest of us return at the end of the day, she's there to listen, talk and makes dinner, almost never asking for help. After we eat she races my dad to the sink to wash the dishes. Sometimes I come home after a long day, and she's bubbling with news. "Today," she'll say, "I registered you for the ACT. And while you were at school, I picked up your car and got the oil changed. And installed a new towel rack in the bathroom for your brother. I also took your old bike into school so your teacher can give it to a student that needs transportation." She takes minimal time for herself, is constantly involved, and she's a problem solver. Thank you, mom.

I know some moms do more to support their family economically, and I recognize those mothers too. This post is in honor of all the hardworking moms that take care of everyone except themselves. Whether they're paying the bills or packing the lunch boxes, or both, they deserve some extra appreciation.
Their hard work and selflessness makes them exemplary role models. So kudos to all the mothers out there, mine included, that work their butts off and then say thank you to us when we conjure up a lame mother's day card, and not much else.

Don't forget to thank your mother for everything she does. You can never say thanks too much.

Stay awesome,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment