October 24, 2015

What is commitment?

This is a post for my dad. I wrote about my mom a few weeks ago, and since then I've been procrastinating writing about my dad. He's an equally amazing parent but I know words can't do either of them justice. He's a surgeon at PCI, and the best father I could imagine being graced with. Thank you for everything you do, Dad.

Commitment is getting out of bed at 6 in the morning every day. It is coming home between 7 and 12 every night, and not knowing if and when you'll get to eat dinner. Commitment is working 365 days a year, quite literally. It is going into your office after opening presents on Christmas morning, so you can work on various charts and documents for a few hours. It is getting up at 2 in the morning because someone fell off of a roof. (Or leaving in the middle of dinner because someone slipped on ice. Or missing your kid's band concert because someone doesn't know how to use a table saw.) It is working all day long to help people when they're at their worst. It is patiently addressing other people's problems every day, and listening to their complaints.

And then, you come home. On those few weekend mornings that you can sleep in, you still choose to get up early to take out the dog. Then, you go out and get breakfast for everyone, or make coffee cake, or whatever you feel inspired to make. You keep working hard even on your days off. You do everything you possibly can to attend important events for my brother and I. Even at the end of your most exhausting work days you are able to see so much potential in me, and encourage me. 
After your long days, you still listen to my brother and I as we tell you about our own days. You still care and ask about everyone else's challenges and successes, with no regards to how hard you've worked. When I was younger, you used to be able to help me with my math, and my science, and you walked me through so many steps I didn't understand. After having worked for 12 hours, you could still muster ample patience to help me at the kitchen counter. Now that I'm in calculus and physics, it's a little harder to refresh your memory and help me with my challenges, but you are patient. You encourage me to find independence and strength in my own endeavors, and manage my time wisely. I know you're excited to watch me learn and grow, but I also know you'll have my back with wise words of encouragement when I'm struggling.

Dad, you work really hard, and don't ask for much recognition for everything you do. I hope this short blog post will suffice. Thank you for working nonstop to support our community and our family. You are a one of a kind person, and a one of a kind dad.

Stay awesome,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment