April 21, 2016

Good Days

So the other day, I told my friend about a comment a boy made, and how it made me smile.

He had said "good morning, Claire." And I was happy about it.

"You're overthinking this way too much, Claire. He just said hi."

Here's a magical thought: I know. And I was happy about it. Let me enjoy this moment, let me live it up for a just a second, and smile about something simple.

I know she didn't mean to, but she sucked the joy out of that moment with a simple comment. When she said that, I promptly shut my mouth, plugged in headphones, and listened to sad Sam Smith music the rest of the class period. And then I listened to Sam Smith every passing time, and during lunch, and I was still sad about that one small moment. I let it ruin my whole day.

That was yesterday.

Today, I woke up in a huff again. Yesterday's bad mood lingered. I skipped the makeup, I didn't even put in lenses. I ALWAYS put in lenses. I put on lazy jeans and a tshirt and embraced the fact that I looked like crap. I did manage to make myself a decent breakfast, but I was running late and upset with my mom and not feeling anything good. It was going to be another mediocre day.

And then, as I'm driving, a really happy song comes on, and I turn on to 42nd street, and the sun hits me right in the chest. Everything was golden. As I drove past the Twin Pines golf course, the grass was golden, and the sun hit it just right. As I squinted into the road ahead, the pavement was tinted yellow-gold. I tried to look past the tree line, and the clouds were backed with an amazing light. And I looked at the golf course again, and glanced back behind me, and the sky was a deep, amazing purple-ish color, and the clouds from what might have been rain were receding behind me. It was beautiful in both directions. I was witnessing a battle between light and dark, and light was winning, and I was headed straight for the bright blazing sun. It was AWESOME. 

Of course, then I turned into the school parking lot and got snapped back to reality a bit. I had a soggy breakfast, a lot of homework, a generally lame day. My friends were grouchy, I was tired, and everything moved in slow motion. That's the overview, I suppose. But the snap back to reality was really only partial. All day, everything I did was backed by a golden glow. That sunlight followed me all day, and even in my windowless classrooms, when I was trapped and stressed and surrounded by boring schoolwork. Through it all, I just thought back to that receding darkness and amazing sunrise and I felt like I was on cloud nine. Even physics didn't suck. I HATE physics. But circuits are fun, and the sunrise is beautiful, and heck, tomorrow is Friday. I can't be upset when it's almost the weekend.

So. What's the purpose of this? I don't know. I was celebrating all day, and I wanted to write something to celebrate that while the feeling lasts. I'm starting to worry about tomorrow because today was so grand. But tomorrow, I just have to find my next sunrise, the backdrop for everything I do that makes me happy no matter what.

Hell, tomorrow's Friday. That's a start.

Happy almost Friday,
Claire
(591)

No comments:

Post a Comment