September 21, 2015

Spoken Words

The other day, I pulled up a video called "To This Day: A Spoken Word" by Shane Koyczan, to show it to a friend. It's one of the darker spoken words circulating around YouTube, but also very inspiring at the end. While fresh in my mind, "To This Day" and has spurred me to focus on spoken words and their messages for a while. Spoken words are sort of like slam poetry, both are a sort of rhythmic speech or story. They've started populating TED Talks in some places, and some of the people that write and perform these are extremely talented. 

The people that write spoken words are important role models for me personally. They write down their personal thoughts, arranging a beautiful and poetic story. Then they stand up in front of a crowd, large or small, and perform their writings with rhythm, and project their thoughts and experiences. Often, the messages behind the writings are very valuable, and some of them hit you pretty hard by the end of the video. Spoken word artists write beautifully, perform beautifully, and I envy them for those two skills.

I will be spending the next week or so analyzing and sharing some of my favorite spoken words, TED Talks, and role models that speak out. I hope to discover some new artful rhyming and storytelling.

Stay awesome,
Claire

The "To This Day" poem can be found on the official site of Shane's project here.

1 comment: