September 19, 2015

What is a role model?

Role models are people we look up to. As kids, we look up to siblings and parents, who seem to possess superpowers. Teachers, athletes and musical artists are like superheroes. The teachers have those sharp, laser eyes that burn across the room. Athletes can practically fly across the fields and courts! And musicians lull us with their talents, hypnotic tunes, and flashy performances. They're almost superheroes, really. 

But as we get older, those people become more like people and less like stars. The people who once shined down on us and inspired us, dull in our minds as we realize they are really just people. Now we forget them a little, push them back in our minds as we choose our own route in life. When I'm choosing classes to take in high school, I am no longer aiming to have a hit song on the radio, but to learn and grow as my own role model. This is a good thing. We are growing up, becoming individuals and deciding which traits we want to retain or develop as we near adulthood. But those original role models, the shining, perfect stars that we looked up to, are still there, living amongst us and continuing to inspire others. And they deserve to be recognized. So do the young, fresh, surprising role models. Inspiration can come from children and peers, or from wise adults. All of whom should be respected and admired.

So, here we are. gr/attitude. The blog that recognizes people with great attitudes. I'll write about a variety of role models, young and old. I'll try to write about what we can learn from them, how to appreciate them, and ways we can all become better role models. This blog is really about self-improvement and appreciating the awesome people out there.

Stay awesome,
Claire

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second paragraph definitely had impact on me personally. I've reached the age of self-awareness. The escape of time is daunting and I often reminisce on the wonder and excitement my younger self felt, fearing I've lost such feeling and have little exhilaration ahead of me. What you said about perceiving the dim of admiration as a sign of growth is a lovely perspective that I needed to hear from someone.

    ReplyDelete