January 30, 2016

Iowa Caucuses

Last time I went to a caucus, I was 7 years old. I don't really remember it, honestly. Apparently everyone packed into the Viola Gibson Elementary school cafeteria, and other precincts did the same thing across the state. My mom caucused for Obama, I think. And now, it's time again. This upcoming Monday, people will caucus again for the next presidential candidates in this fall's election. There's going to be a huge Republican caucus downtown that concentrates all the precincts, but the Democrats split theirs up more regionally so it's easier to count where people side. 

My mom is caucusing with the Democrats. I think she'll caucus for Hillary Clinton, but I'm not entirely sure. She'll be in the Viola Gibson cafeteria again, and apparently they split up and sit on the side or in the corner representing who they are siding with. I really can't picture what it looked like all those years ago.

My dad wants to go to the big, crowded Republican one downtown. He won't tell me who he's caucusing for, maybe because he hasn't decided. But the Republicans select spokespersons for candidates to sway people to vote for candidates, and then everyone submits a secret ballot with their vote. There are a lot more Republican candidates and I'm excited to go to the Republican caucus and see what it's like. 

Going into this exciting evening for Iowa, my only hope is that Donald Trump doesn't win. He's not the right man for this presidency, and if he doesn't win in Iowa, it will be a hit to his ego in other states' primaries.
As for the democrats, I think anyone up for election will do a decent job. All three candidates have good ideas and will lead the country well if elected. I think it would be exciting to see the first female president elected to office, but the nation has to decide that Hillary Clinton truly deserves to be that woman.

So, to close this, make sure you get out and caucus! We're the first state that gets a say in who leads our nation, and our caucus results impact who stays and who goes and sets an example for the rest of America.

Best of luck to everyone! (except Donald)
Claire

(380)

No comments:

Post a Comment