February 2, 2016

Iowa Caucuses Part 2

So I went. My dad and I went downtown to the Double Tree hotel to weave through a crowded lobby and find the voter registration table to he could become a republican and cast his secret ballot for whichever Republican candidate he wanted to support. I just knew it wasn't Donald Trump or Ted Cruz. He wouldn't tell me. We got there an hour before the caucus began so we had plenty of time to find seats and sign in and stuff. Two guys tell us that he can fill out the registration form at his chair and someone will collect it and bring him a ballot. 

Easy. Nice. We sit down. I'm reading. And then at 6:45, with 15 minutes until the caucus starts, someone walks up to the microphone and announces that you have to go to a table for your precinct to sign in and get a ballot. We had been misled by two different people and had sat quietly for half and hour, along with about 500 other people, who also stand up and make a beeline for the door from the conference hall back to the hallway. 500 people to fight through just for a ballot. My dad hadn't eaten dinner and he had seen so many posters for candidates other than his that he gave up, right then and there. 

"We're going home. I know I'm not being a great parent right now, but I'm hungry and I'm tired and at this rate we won't get out of here until 11 pm. Come on, you've got homework. Let's go." I was disappointed to say the least. We shuffle out of the grand hotel, past Ted Cruz, chatting with starry-eyed voters.

Now don't get me wrong. For all the people voting for the popular republican candidates, that must have been a very exciting night. Ted Cruz was there! Wow!

But when you don't idolize the people being supported, it's not fun. My dad was really upset by the lack of organization. On the way home, we are listening to the radio. People across the state were calling in to echo my dad's concerns. There was a HUGE turnout for the Iowa caucuses this year, and I'm not old enough to participate. And of course I didn't get to even go observe the process on either side. This is history being made, and I missed it because my dad was hungry. We're almost home when mom finally texts back. She's at Viola Gibson Elementary for the democratic caucus.

Maybe there's still time...
Claire
(427)

No comments:

Post a Comment