February 3, 2016

Iowa Caucuses Part 3

(read my last post before this one, it's kind of the second half of a weird adventure.)

My mom says I'm still totally welcome at the democratic caucus if I want to observe. We're almost home, but dad makes a u-turn and takes me to Viola Gibson to watch the Democratic caucus. 

I arrive in the cafeteria just as they have determined that Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders are viable, but those supporting Martin O'Malley will not be viable. The people running the caucus announce a short break for each side to try to sway those siding with O'Malley, and the three or four people standing in the O'Malley corner disperse to join Hillary and Bernie's sides. The cafeteria is filled with a dull rumble of chatter between supporters, and after about 10 minutes, it gets quiet and no one is changing sides. 

The guy with the microphone asks for one person from each candidate to count heads and report numbers and they will total the votes and make sure there aren't any counting errors. It's so peaceful and organized, and as I watch them count heads, I pick out nearly a dozen familiar faces just from my school, seniors, young voters. I saw some neighbors caucusing for Hillary. It was refreshing to see democracy in action, and comforting to see people I knew after having been surrounded by 3000+ complete strangers downtown at the republican caucus. 

The democrats were done in less than an hour total. The guy pulls out a calculator, and the sides add up to the original total of voters present. 
"Okay folks, that's it. Thank you for coming and participating." Everyone stands up and shuffles out of the cafeteria. My mom and I make it home by 8:00.

So, that was my caucus experience. In a way, I got to see a little bit of both sides of the Iowa caucuses, and I definitely preferred the relaxed democrats. Yet, when casting a secret ballot at a republican caucus, no one tries to sway you to change your position, and your vote goes to your candidate. The results from a republican caucus are probably more accurate for that reason. 

I was mostly just excited to take part in the process and observe. I'm proud of my state. We're the first to determine the front runners in the presidential election, and I felt special for living here. Go Iowa. Corn and caucuses. And good people.

It's still quite early in the voting season, and I am excited to see who is elected in the fall. If there's one valuable takeaway from the Iowa caucuses of 2016, at least Trump didn't win.
(He came in second in the republican caucuses.)

Happy voting season, Iowa. You shined this week.
Claire
(462)

No comments:

Post a Comment