March 25, 2016

A Letter

So in middle school, it was a common project to write a letter to yourself down the road, and the intention was to hang onto it and read it in 10 years, or at graduation. I don't know if I lost mine, or never wrote it, or never had it as an assignment, but I heard mention of it recently and decided to write myself a letter. It's not edited, not necessarily well-written, and it's pretty short, but I think it's worth preserving on here, because I will lose the hard copy someday.

Dear future Claire,

It's been a while, huh. I hope you're reading this with a steady job saving the world somehow. Maybe you're working for the peace corps, or you changed your mind and became a doctor like your dad. At the very least, you graduated from college, hopefully without too much student loan debt.

If you don't travel too much for work, maybe you'll be married with the future of kids. Have kids eventually. And send them to Camp Wapsie, and dress them well, and make them your world. That's what my parents did, and it's what you have to do as a mom.

But before you have kids, you'd better be head-over-heels in love. I mean, I'm not sure when you'll stumble upon this letter, and kids might still be a far away worry, but I hope you're in love. I hope you find someone who takes you on dates and cuddles with you and doesn't just try to get in your pants and who is just as head-over-heels for you. If you haven't found it yet though, don't stress. So many people love you and are there for you, even if you haven't found a lover for life.

Also, read books. High-schooler Claire is constantly wishing she had more time for books. Don't forget to take a step back and sit with a book. Escape to somewhere, or learn something. Always keep learning.

Another reminder - I'm not sure if you'll gain or lose weight or stay about the same, but DAMN you are beautiful. Your eyes glow and your smile shines and makeup or naked face, you are gorgeous. Tiny boobs or sexy curves, you are wonderful and super intelligent and awesome.

Finally, if you're stressed, get up and run. I'm not sure if you're still running long distance. If not, take this as a cue to get back out there! Run a half-marathon. Well, train for one. Knowing me now, you might not have kept running. Go for a run. Get outside. Soak up some sunshine on a bike or go swim or something. Never forget the wonders of the outdoors when you are caught up in life.

Anyway, that's about it. Good luck in all your endeavors. Even if these goals and pieces of advice don't line up with who you've become, you've probably achieved things far beyond my wildest dreams. No matter what, I am proud.

Love you so much,
Claire.
(500)

No comments:

Post a Comment