October 28, 2015

Megan

This post is about my childhood best friend. I'm not sure why but I'm a bit nervous about this one. I'll just jump in though.
Her name is Megan, and she is super awesome. It feels like I never see her anymore, because we live an hour and a half apart. She's my only friend I'm still in touch with from living in the Quad Cities when I was young. I moved away when I was seven, but because our families were so close, we remained very close as well, if not grew closer. I haven't seen her in what feels like years, when it's probably been less than a month. (We also video chat.) There are a number of things I need to thank her for teaching me when we were younger, and as we've grown up so far away from each other...

1. Friendship can be found in the most unlikely places. Megan, you were a straight up turd when I first met you. I mean, we were toddlers, but you were mean. Our parents were co-workers though, and we worked very hard to forge a friendship that has lasted years. I grew on you, and you grew on me, and once we found some common interests we clicked.

2. You never outgrow your imagination. When we were kiddos, we both loved Harry Potter. We fought over who got to be Hermione when we played in your backyard. We had wand battles in the yard and performed duels in your swimming pool, fighting off dementors and Death Eaters - or little brothers. It was intense. Even as we grew up in our separate cities, I kept my wand and a little wizard charm you made me at a summer camp. Still have them. And I know that you're one of the rare people that even at our current age would gladly break out the wands again. We were friends when we began discovering how to create for ourselves, and had I not been so evenly matched intellectually, I would have been pretty bored as a child.


3. It takes a lot of practice to be good at something. You started figure skating at a young age, and for your tenth birthday I was able to come visit and join your birthday party. It was an ice skating party, and I had a wonderful time landing on my butt and watching you do pirouettes and jumps. A little over a year later, I had an ice skating party of my own on a smaller scale, and I kept falling and wishing I was as talented as you are. Since then I've watched you sustain a concussion and a back injury and still find a way to continue doing what you love. You struggled during your time off, and missed your passion when you weren't allowed on the ice. And you've struggled on the ice too. A lot. So many times I've heard that you are struggling with a jump, but a month later, it's always a different kind of jump, because you are so hard-working and make so much progress.

4. Be proud of your figure. This last one is a little more difficult to explain without sounding very direct. Let's imagine the picture perfect, Olympian figure skater. Thin, ballerina thin. Light and tall and slim to glide and spin smoothly. It's an advantage to be this shape because jumps are easier. Everything is smooth and delicate. Megan, you have beautiful curves and strong broad shoulders and you are stronger than the delicate dolls on ice that I see on TV. You've worked twice as hard to accomplish those moves because you aren't as flexible. You're committed and strong and the perfect oxymoron of tough and delicate, fiery and cool.

There's so much more you've taught me, but these are the most prominent lessons. You also taught me to curl my hair, and you gave me my first mascara. You planted my love for Target. Yes, the department store Target. And you've taught me more important things too. Having known you for over 10 years, there's a lot more to be said. But this is what I've got. Thanks Megan.

Stay awesome,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment