October 4, 2015

Musical Interpretation

Let's talk music. In our messy world of criticisms and pop culture, a plethora of songs and topics are commonly sung about. Love, violence, becoming a parent, drugs and adventures. It's all out there. 

If you asked me to pick a favorite artist, it might be Ed Sheeran. Or Troye Sivan. I also really like Sam Smith, and Jake Shimabukuro, and Dodie Clark, and Halsey. Oh, and Florence + The Machine. The audiences for each of these artists varies in size. Some are better known for making video makers on youtube. Some are famous for their music and overplayed on the radio. And the majority of you will have no idea who Jake Shimabukuro is. He's famous for his ukulele skills. But so is Dodie Clark. It's hard to find the theme in what sorts of songs I like. When someone sings about love, in various forms, it tends to move listeners. I think growing up and coming of age are topics that inspire me in song form too.

(I also love the type of music that makes you want to get up and dance. Groovy, funk stuff. Earth, Wind & Fire is one of my top Pandora stations for dancing to. In case anyone wanted to know.)


Yet, the other day, I was talking with my good friend, and he likes a very different set of songs. It's not the stuff that makes you cry or moves you in your chest, at least not the way I see it. Then again, he plays football. The songs he told me about are intense guitar pieces that the team listens to before a game. Not really my thing. And yet, the passion with which he told me about Shinedown and Seether was impressive. I tried listening on Pandora. I really tried. It made me appreciate the message behind the different songs that my friend likes. He seems to like the songs that drive him and make him feel stronger when he's doign something he's passionate about.

For another quick musical profile, another one of my good friends shares my taste in Halsey, and Sam Smith. She has  begged her mom for concert tickets to Halsey. But I'm not sure we like the same songs for the same reasons. I think she likes the adventurous tone of Halsey's songs. Even if she's just driving home from school, Halsey makes it seem like the ride of a lifetime. And Sam Smith sings a lot about love. Songs about love, whether it's heartbreak, or a crush, or a terrible breakup, validate how we feel, even if we won't sing it dramatically like our favorite artists.

So here's to music. Let it continue to move us, whether it's to face the day with a different attitude or just get on our feet and move. If you've read this far, you should comment something you like to listen to.

Stay awesome,
Claire

---
Ed Sheeran.
Troye Sivan.
Sam Smith.
Jake Shimabukuro.
Dodie Clark.
Halsey.
Florence + The Machine
Earth, Wind & Fire.
Shinedown.
Seether.
---

1 comment:

  1. Good post, I like listening to instrumental soundtracks, or the music that plays in movies. Music is something that needs to be interpreted by the individual.

    ReplyDelete